The Emergency Solutions Grant program provides funding to:
- Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street;
- Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families;
- Help operate these shelters;
- Provide essential services to shelter residents;
- Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families; and
- Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless.
The State of South Carolina is considered the Eligible Recipient of ESG Funds, however, by law the State must subgrant all of the funds received to eligible local governments or private non-profit organizations.
Darlington County Community Action Agency receives and uses ESG funds to support two (2) programs available to Darlington county residents: homelessness prevention and rapid re-housing assistance.
- Homelessness Prevention: The Homelessness Prevention program is designed to provide an individual who is "at-risk" of becoming homeless housing relocation and stabilization services and short-and/or medium-term rental assistance as necessary to prevent the individual or family from moving to an emergency shelter or a place not meant for human habitation. An individual eligible to receive ESG assistance already has an eviction notice, or one who currently lives in a motel/hotel.
Rapid Re-Housing Program: The Rapid Re-Housing Program is designed to provide a individual or family who is homeless, or will become homeless within the next fourteen (14) days and lacks income housing relocation and stabilization services and/or short-and/or medium-term rental assistance as necessary to help move as quickly as possible into permanent housing and achieve stability in that housing.
Getting Assistance: Eligible Darlington county residence my stop by our local office in Hartsville and complete an application with an Intake Specialist to receive assistance. To receive assistance individuals must bring with them:
- A copy of the applicants Drivers License (expired drivers license are not accepted)
- Social Security Cards for all household members
- Proof of Income for all household members over eighteen (18)
- Eviction Notice or signed Landlord Affidavit
- Current Lease Agreement with all members of the household name
An ESG applicant's total family income must not exceed poverty guidelines. To see if you meet the income requirements or to apply for assistance, visit our office located at 904 S. 4th Street, Hartsville, SC 29550 or call (843)-332-1135.