The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides funds to local Community Action Agencies that are used to help eligible families with energy costs. With the support of LIHEAP funding, Darlington County Community Action Agency provides federally funded assistance to individuals in need to help manage costs associated with:
- Home energy bills
- Energy crises
- Weatherization and energy-related minor home repairs
LIHEAP assistance can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer through programs that reduce the risk of health and safety problems that arise from unsafe heating and cooling practices.
Darlington County Community Action Agency offers the following programs for residence of Darlington County only:
- Direct Assistance (DA): LIHEAP's Direct Assistance program is designed to provide financial assistance to applicants to proactively prevent an emergency situation. The total assistance amount awarded to an individual is sent to the necessary energy supplier in the form of a voucher, which when applied to the applicant's account, will reduce the bill by the award amount. The minimum amount awarded is $225, but may reach up to $500, depending on the circumstances of the individual household.
- Emergency Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP): LIHEAP's ECIP program allows individual who have a documented emergency to apply for and qualify for the ECIP program. The purpose of this program is to intervene in an energy-related crisis situation, helping to alleviate some of the stress associated with an emergency. The maximum award amount individual's may receive for ECIP services is $1,000, which is sent directly to the energy supplier in the form of a voucher.
Getting Assistance: Eligible Darlington county residents may stop by our local office in Hartsville and complete and complete an application with an Intake Specialist to receive assistance. To receive assistance, individuals must bring with them:
- A copy of the applicant's Drivers License or State issued Identification card (expired Drivers Licenses are not accepted)
- Social Security Cards for all household members
- Proof of Income for all household members over eighteen (18)
- A copy of an electric/gas bill from Energy Vendor
- Propane/Fuel Oil Bill Delivery Ticket
A LIHEAP applicant's total family income must not exceed 150% of Federal Poverty Income Guidelines. To see if you meet the income requirements, please review the poverty guidelines. To apply for assistance, click the button below, visit our office at 325 W. Washington Street, Hartsville, SC 29550, or call (843)-332-1135.
Assistance is available to help offset the costs of home energy expenses and to help alleviate emergencies. To start the Pre-Application process at home, click the button below.
Please keep in mind your Application WILL NOT BE STARTED until all REQUIRED DOCUMENTS are provided in a timely manner. Services are provided based upon the availability of funds and/or issued on a first come first served basis. Agency’s acceptance of an application is not a promise of service to a client.
If your application has started and documents are missing, your failure to submit any identified documents within 5 days will result in your application being voided. If your application is voided, you will have to start a new application and provide updated information to seek assistance.